Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

8650 ft.

Wyoming/Prairie Dog Plantation.  The kids loved these little guys!
Cool Rocks!
Grandma Great!(Kate's name sake, and a definite match indeed! Kate makes this funny face where she sticks out her bottom lip and smiles at the same time, Grandma makes the same face)
The home of the Crisp Bean Burrito!
At the hotel Kate thought the air conditioning system was the best she would sneak over turn on the dial and laugh until her face got cold.


Day-4 After the crazy storm and a long day through Nebraska we made it to our final destination, Cheyenne Wyoming.  If any of you are wondering what this part of the country looks like? Well it is pretty empty.  At 8650 ft elevation it is pretty chilly in the mornings and through the pine trees in the mountains we could see snow.  The scenery really started to change the closer we got to Utah.  The rock formations and where amazing and really captivated the kids interest.  The hard thing about Wy. is the rest stops are few and with this many little ones, it can make for a rough experience.  Madeline, bless her, needed to go so bad she started to say that she really hated Wy. and it was the worst place...... we were 20 miles from the nearest rest stop, the terrain was wide open spaces and then we got stuck in traffic.  As we pulled to a halt my heart sunk, pour Maddie.
Just then a man with a trailer pulled up.  I hung my head out the window and said, "This might sound crazy, but my daughter really needs to use the bathroom could we borrow yours?" Without a moment hesitation he said, "Yes!" From that point on Madeline could hate Wyoming, but we were sure fans of New Mexico.  We arrived in Utah at 6:00 pm and enjoyed a visit with Grandma Great!  We toured the town of Brigham, got a crisp bean burrito at Taco Time, Dwane's favorite resturant, then wore the kids out at the park.

Highlights : 
A. Kate has magic toes! She can pick up a Kleenex, and open the window with them.
B.  Because of Magic Toes Dwane had to lock the windows so anytime I wanted to roll down the window I would have to say, "Dwane, please will you unlock my window?"  Once Kate heard that she would instantly be at hers.  And then smile with delight.  Dwane and I are going to have to think up a silent code.  
C.  When Alexa would see the small ranches she would exclaim, "Those baby mansions are so cute."

Animals: Llama, crow, Antelope, cows, prairie dogs
License plates: New Mexico, Oregon, Montana, South Dakota 
  

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving the daily posts! I can't believe someone let you use their bathroom on the freeway! You're brave!
    Hope to see you before we take off from CA to UT. Let me know what your plans are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that Brigham Young also enjoyed a crisp bean burrito from Taco Time when he finally arrived in Utah? Must be a Young family tradition. We'll, okay, maybe Brigham had a cricket sandwich instead of a crisp bean, but I bet he wished he had one of those little cruchy masterpieces. Dwane, you sure know a good meal. I think that I'd rank crisp bean burrito right up there with pizza on my list of favorites. And I loved reading about your trip! The Youngs RULE!!!!

    -Lige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a good samaritan! If it had been Judd's Dad he would have said NO, we don't even get to use the bathroom when we camp in the trailer. (Although Colby did last summer and didn't tell Grandpa about.) So sorry we missed seeing you. Taco Time was what Judd missed when we lived in NC. He is still missing it since he gave up fast food this year.

    ReplyDelete